Need advice?

If you rent your home and you are having a problem, in a lot of cases you can resolve the issue yourself when you understand more about it. We provide many fact sheets that outline various aspects of renting, what can go wrong, who is responsible, what the correct process is, and how to fix problems. We also offer information on common problems that may be useful for you.

If you have a tenancy problem that is not covered by one of our fact sheets or you’ve read them and still need more information, you are welcome to contact us for advice on (08) 9221 0088 or for country callers 1800 621 888

Tenancy WA has recently introduced a fee for our legal advice service of $40. We will waive (remove) this fee if you are receiving Centrelink benefits or are in financial difficulty or a crisis - please talk to us about your situation.

And don’t forget that if you need information rather than legal advice, you can call the free Consumer Protection information line on 1300 304 054.

Getting advice

When you contact us for advice we will gather some information about you and your situation. We require your landlord’s name before we can provide you with legal advice. You should be able to find their name on your lease document. If you rent through a Real Estate Agency, they can provide your landlord’s name. If you are having difficulty finding out your landlord’s name, you can contact the Bond Administrator at the WA Department of Commerce on 1300 853 829 and they will be able to help.

Sometimes your information is gathered by one of our student volunteers who help us with administration duties, freeing up time that can be used to help more people. Legal advice is only given to you by one of our Legal Practitioners or Tenant Advocates. Most advice is given to you over the telephone. It is always best to have all your documentation on your rental in front of you.

There are 2 ways you can access our legal advice service:

1. Use our online booking system

When you book a telephone advice session with our online booking system, you will be able to choose a call back in the morning, between 9am – 12pm, or the afternoon, between 1pm – 5pm. Your call will take less time and will concentrate on the rental issue you are experiencing because we will already have all the information you provide on the online form. Some fixed time appointments are available each day, and these are reserved for people who have little flexibility in their workday. You can access our online booking system here.


2. Call our advice line

(08) 9221 0088 (Metropolitan) 1800 621 888 (Country Free Call)


Our advice line operates Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 4:30pm. One of our team will take your information and ask you some questions about your situation and we will then provide you with advice on your tenancy problem. We are a state-wide service and we know that at times it can be difficult to get through on the advice line, so you may find it easier to use our online booking system.


Please note: We do not provide email advice.

If your situation is very urgent and you need immediate advice, we recommend you try our advice line, or alternatively you can contact your local tenant advocate.


Why we have introduced a fee

Demand for our services is extremely high. We know there are phone calls on our advice line that are going unanswered, however with our current funding we can’t expand our services to assist those people who are missing out.

Tenancy WA is facing a decrease in the level of funding it receives from the Department of Commerce for the provision of tenancy advice and education services in WA. The source of this funding is income earned on residential tenancy bonds paid to the Bond Administrator and held in trust in the Rental Accommodation account. Very low interest rates over a protracted period has reduced the current level of funding available to provide these services.

Rather than cutting our services and in order to protect the level of service we currently offer, we made the decision to introduce a low-cost service fee. This fee can be waived in certain circumstances. Talk to us about your situation if you have concerns.


Tenancy WA does not offer advice or support to landlords or commercial tenants.

  • If you are a residential landlord contact the Department of Commerce on 1300 30 40 54
  • If you are a commercial landlord or tenant contact the Small Business Development Corporation on 131 249