We are now Circle Green Community Legal

Tenancy WA is now part of Circle Green, a merger of three established community legal centres. To access employment law resources and services, please visit our new website.

Go to Circle Green website

Help with Magistrates Court

Sometimes you need to go to Court to resolve a problem you have with your tenancy. For many people, it’s the first time they have been to any Court and it can be confusing and daunting. To help you, we have several fact sheets explaining more about how you apply to go to Court and what to expect when you get there.

If you don’t understand your rights and responsibilities, you can end up with an outcome that is not in your best interests. If the owner or landlord of the home you rent is taking you to Court to try and get you evicted, then it is particularly important that you have the right advice.

It’s always best to get advice before your Court date. Take a look at our Need Advice page for information on how to access our legal advice service or you can contact your local tenant advocate for advice.

Duty Advocacy Program

Tenancy WA has a program that runs at the Perth Magistrates Court on Wednesdays and Thursdays each week - when residential tenancy matters are dealt with. Called the Duty Advocacy Program, it’s run with the Sussex Street Community Law Services, Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre and Welfare Rights & Advocacy Service.

We provide advice on your situation and we can help with any negotiation that is needed. If you have to go to Court and want to talk to the Duty Advocate, please come to the Magistrates Court at 9:00am. Remember to bring all of your paperwork with you as this will help the Advocate to give you the best advice.

Generally we deal with tenants on a first-come-first-served basis, however we can prioritise if your situation is particularly serious or urgent and you are at risk of being homeless.

If you are facing that risk, we can also refer you to the right community service that may be able to help. If you are going to another Court in the suburbs or a regional centre, check there is a Duty Advocate service available by talking to your local service.