We are now Circle Green Community Legal

Tenancy WA is now part of Circle Green, a merger of three established community legal centres. To access employment law resources and services, please visit our new website.

Go to Circle Green website

Common Problems

Tenancy WA will assist you with any problems or questions that you have about your tenancy – that’s what we are here for. However there are some common problems that we hear every day.

Take a look at the most common problems listed below. If your problem is on that list, we suggest you read the recommended fact sheets to understand more about your rights and responsibilities in that area. Armed with information you may be able to resolve the situation yourself. If you still require further advice then you can contact us.

I want to move out before the end of my lease – how does that work?

If you have signed a lease for a defined time like 6 months or 1 year, and you want to move out before the time is up, that is called breaking a lease.

How can I get my bond back?

It‘s important to understand the process of paying a security bond, what happens to that money and how you go about getting it back when you move out.

I need my landlord to do something about...

If you need some repairs done, have a problem with mould or you have issues with mice, cockroaches or rats in your home, those are all things your landlord may need to deal with.

I’m behind in my rent - what do I need to do?

Sometimes your circumstances change and you get behind with paying your rent. There are some steps you can take to try and avoid having your lease terminated by the landlord.

I’m looking for a place to rent and I’m not sure what I need to know.

Whether you are renting for the first time or starting a new rental, it’s good to understand the process, as well as your rights and responsibilities.

I’m coming to the end of my lease period. Is there anything I need to do?

It can depend on the type of lease you have, but there some steps to take if you want to give notice, finish renting your home and move out.

I’ve been told I can end up on a Residential Tenancy Database – what does that mean?

Landlords and property managers use Residential Tenancy Databases to check applicants’ rental history. Find out about the databases and what they mean for you.

My landlord is evicting me and/or has called the police. What can I do?

If you are facing an eviction from the home you rent you need to understand the process and what your rights are.

My landlord/property manager keeps coming into my house. Can they do that?

There is a process that landlords must use when entering any property that you rent.